What I do
I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Media, Film, and Journalism Studies, where I also serve as Director of the M.A. in Media and Public Communication and the Graduate Certificate in Public Diplomacy.
My research draws on critical theories of communication and culture and explores the intersections of media, markets and power in global contexts. I am particularly interested in critical perspectives on promotional culture, nation branding, and public diplomacy. Much of my published research focuses on the post-communist countries in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. At DU, I teach graduate and undergraduate classes in media theory and history, strategic communication, public diplomacy, and branding. Before becoming a college professor, I have worked in advertising and public relations in the United States and in my native country, Bulgaria.
- Ph.D., Media Studies, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2007
- MA, Advertising, Syracuse University, 1999
- BA, Journalism and Mass Communication, American University in Bulgaria, 1997
- International Communication Association
- European Communication Research and Education Association
- Association for the Study of Nationalities
My research draws on critical theories of culture and communication and explores the commercialization of national identities in transitional contexts. Much of my published work examines nation branding and public diplomacy from a critical perspective and analyzes the intersections of media, markets, and power in conditions of globalization.
- Globalizing Nationalism? Transnational Commercial Media and the Remaking of the “National”
- The Branded National Imagination and Its Limits: Insights from the Post-Socialist Experience
- Nation Branding and the Global Political Economy of Image
- Nation Branding and the Neoliberal Nation-State: Learning from Post-War Kosovo
- European Hierarchies of Othering and the Balkan Crisis of Identity
- Heldt Prize for Best Article in Slavic/Eastern European/Eurasian Women’s Studies, honorable mention, Association for Women in Slavic Studies (AWSS)