Demos by Topic
IFs Model Areas
The International Futures (IFs) model integrates data on many major human, social, and environmental systems. The systems within the model are interconnected, making it possible for users to explore grand scale research questions. To make the most of the interconnectedness of IFs though, users need to understand how each system within the model is built and how it interacts with the other systems.
Introduction to the International Futures Model
The strength of the IFs model is in its capacity to help researchers think about the long-term global future. IFs can help researchers clarify goals and priorities, develop alternative scenarios about the future, and explore the role that different policy interventions might have in shaping the future.
What are some examples of areas you can investigate with International Futures?
- Environmental Sustainability: Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, world forest area, fossil fuel usage
- Social/Political Change: Life expectancy, literacy rate, democracy level, status of women, value change
- Demographic Futures: Population levels and growth, fertility, mortality, migration
- Food and Agriculture: Land use and production levels, calorie availability, malnutrition rates
- Energy: Resource and production levels, demand patterns, renewable energy share
- Economics: Sectoral production, consumption, trade patterns and structural change
- Global System: Country and regional power levels
How does scenario analysis work with International Futures?
Scenarios are if-then statements about possible futures. Every if-then statement first starts as a question. For example, a researcher could ask, “What is the cost of conflict on human development in Yemen?” They might then use IFs to build scenarios around various policy interventions to explore possible answers to that question.
Users interested in learning how to build scenarios inside the IFs platform can learn more by reviewing the Guide to Scenario Analysis.
Pardee Center Forecasts Trends in Latin America